Friday, May 20, 2011

A day in the life of a fail PVPer...

Ok, so I won't sugar-coat it.  Currently, I suck at PVP.  This has been proven time and again and, while I think SP may have a little bit to do with it, I just can't figure out how to find someone quickly enough, warp in, get the point and then take them into structure without them obliterating me.  It could be my fit (I forum-crawl ALOT so I don't think this is the problem), it could be my tactics, it could be a lot of things.  One of the things I hope to accomplish with this blog is to get enough like-minded people that are better at PVP that might be able to offer assistance and critiquing to better help me understand what I am doing wrong.  That being said, let me explain a typical day in the life of me......

A long time ago in a galaxy far far far away.......(see what I did there? :P)

Ok, enough of that, I'm not that big of a nerd that I actually think posting in the style of George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry will accomplish anything other than show that I am a nerd and, who wants that?  Typically when I log onto EVE online, I check my skills, make sure I get the best bang for my buck at the time (my character is still only a month old so there's a lot of level IV's left to get), then I will take a look at my map, how I am feeling and what I feel like doing and then choose a destination that allows me to not only roam through multiple systems, but find places that I think other like-minded pilots would go.  Typically at this point, I need to go check on my little ones, spend time with the wife amongst other, more fun things so I end up putting EVE on hold for a bit...eventually I will get back to it.

Anyway, as an example of what I do when I get to where I'm going, I recently just got back from the Aridia region somewhat forcibly as I was very roughly removed from my Caracal by a group of 0.1 pirates in an Anomaly.  I had it insured so I only lost about 8 mil in fittings and rigs.  I don't make much money, but I am not above buying a GTC if I REALLY start to worry about whether I can fund myself or not and since I just spent a little over a week there I was able to have about 200 items transported for me by my friends at Red Frog Freight.

These guys are great for the price they charge.  I was about 20 jumps from Jita, all high-sec jumps (I transported all my stuff in a cruiser with a large cargohold to the nearest High-Sec point) and I was only charged 7.5 mill for the whole transfer. (One of the faction mods in the cargo paid for the service alone.)  This in itself is actually an amazing deal because there are usually quite a few people between Jita and most systems just waiting to scan you down in your Industrial to see if you have anything worth more than their Dessy/BS depending on who they are and, not only that, you also don't have to sit in auto-pilot for 20 jumps and hope that if you fall asleep, you will still have a hauler in the morning.  I give more than two thumbs up to them, sadly I only have two thumbs. http://red-frog.org/faq.php is their website, try em out if you haven't already.  Great service.

Anyway,  while in that region, I came across my first cruiser kill (sure I was in a cruiser too, but it's a bit of a step in the right direction.)  I also managed to play cat and mouse with people after me and vice-versa.  Sadly, I only get to play for an hour or two (sometimes more) a day, so I really don't get to work on long roams through a lot of systems, but I am ok with this.  Real life is definitely more important than EVE.  Wouldn't you agree? :P

Sometimes I will also scan out sites and try to run them as I am still working on building my wallet so I can become a full-time PVPer.  My experience in lowsec so far is that people aren't even willing to see what you are flying.  As soon as you warp in, they dock or they jump out.  It's pretty irritating.  Anyone have any tips on how to successfully roam so people are interested in you?

No comments:

Post a Comment